Love And Other Numbers (1980-1984)
Deluxe Collector’s Edition
Electro-plated antipodean-chameleon Ash Wednesday’s deep catalogue of minimal-wave and early-electro compositions form an incredibly impressive and desperately under-acknowledged body of work. From the deliriously bouncy new wave pop of 1980’s “Love By Numbers” to the Elvis-armed-with-an-analog-synth bombast of 1983’s “Boom Boom Baby”, Ash joined or created notable minimal-wave/experimental ensembles The Metronomes, Thealonian Music and Modern Jazz alongside solo work.
Stark, dark, euphoric, snide and wonky yet joyous and accessible, these experimental/electro (sometimes rockabilly-tinged) sides have long been cherished by knowing collectors but are largely reissued here for the very first time. Remastered, in all their pristine synthetic glory, from the original mastertapes and presented with exclusive liner notes and rare photos.
Ash would later join with both Nina Hagen and Einstürzende Neubauten. But that is another story...
*Remastered from the original mastertapes 2012.
*20 track CD. All original recordings.
*20 page full colour booklet with exclusive liner notes and rare photos.
1. Love By Numbers - Ash Wednesday
2. Boom Boom Baby - Modern Jazz
3. Eighteen Creature - Modern Jazz
4. A Living Person - The Metronomes
5. Do-Do - Thealonian Music
6. Sex II - The Metronomes
7. Life In Paris - Modern Jazz
8. Psychotic Reaction - The Metronomes
9. Hairstyle Exploding - Modern Jazz
10. A Circuit Like Me - The Metronomes
11. Wires And Darkness - Thealonian Music
12. The Ballad Of A Metronome - The Metronomes
13. The Galvanized Garden Of Inner Peace - Modern Jazz
14. Bonie Maronie - The Metronomes
15. Bad Timing - The Metronomes
16. Useless Information - Thealonian Music
17. Radio Scream – Modern Jazz
18. Radiation Injection - Thealonian Music
19. Sex I - The Metronomes
20. Boring Instrumental - Ash Wednesday
All Original Recordings
(P) Originally Recorded 1980-1984. All Rights Reserved.
Executive in charge of CD reissue: David Thrussell
Layout and design: Richard Grant/I+T=R
Remastered 2012 by Alvin Lucia at The Iron Mountain Analogue Research Facility
All titles licensed courtesy of Ash Wednesday, The Metronomes, Thealonian Music and Modern Jazz
This compilation (P) + (C) The Omni Recording Corporation 2012