Nowhere To Run - The Little Darlin’ Years 1966-1970
The Darkest Honky Tonk in town... First Time On CD!!!
Here it is. The Honky Tonk “Holy Grail”.
Coveted, rare and brilliant, Johnny Paycheck‘s 1960s recordings for the Little Darlin’ label are sometimes dangerous, sometimes stunningly beautiful, oftentimes both. Paycheck was the real deal, life and the recording studio revealed a man tortured and talented beyond compare.
Paycheck cut his teeth on the road in the early 60s with the likes of Porter Wagoner and George Jones (some even insist that Jones copped his style, and Wagoner his content from Paycheck) until he burned out and hit skid row. Maverick producer Aubrey Mayhew discovered him sleeping it off under a bridge in Nashville, dusted Paycheck off and began the astounding story contained herein. Apocalyptic visions, murder/suicides, delirium, insanity and an awful lot of drinking - such was the haunting darkness that followed Johnny Paycheck. Deluxe collector’s edition remastered from the original master tapes with exclusive scholarly liner notes and rare photos. Most tracks make their first official appearance on CD and are licensed direct from the Aubrey Mayhew estate.
Dark, svelte and a little menacing, welcome to the spookiest Honky Tonk in town... the favourite watering hole of Mr. Johnny Paycheck.
*Remastered 2009 from the original master tapes!
*Deluxe packaging, 28 page full colour booklet with scholarly liner notes, rare photos, memorabilia etc.
*First release on CD for most tracks!
*29 track CD! All original recordings!
1. (It’s A Mighty Thin Line) Between Love And Hate
2. I’m A Coward
3. The Ballad Of Frisco Bay
4. The Cave
5. (Like Me) You’ll Recover In Time
6. (Pardon Me) I’ve Got Someone To Kill
7. It Won’t Be Long (And I’ll Be Hating You)
8. Pride Covered Ears
9. He’s In A Hurry (To Get Home To My Wife)
10. Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey
11. (What’s Gonna Happen To) The Little Folks
12. Basin Street Mama
13. The Loser
14. Nowhere To Run
15. Don’t Tell My Wife
16. Two Candles, One Dinner And A Bottle
17. Then Love Dies
18. Where All Good Daddies Go
19. Wherever You Are
20. There’s No Easy Way To Die
21. The Johnsons Of Turkey Ridge
22. Down At The Corner At A Bar Called Kelly’s
23. Problem Solvin’ Doctor
24. The Pint Of No Return
25. I’ve Got Wine On My Mind
26. Honky Tonks And Slow Sad Music
27. If I’m Gonna Sink (I Might As Well Go To The Bottom)
28. You Tell Me Your Troubles
29. The Late And Great Me
All Original Little Darlin’ Recordings Licensed from the estate of Aubrey Mayhew, The Little Darlin’ Corporation and Dream City Music.
Executive in charge of CD reissue: David Thrussell
Layout and design: David K. Landis for Shake It Loose Graphics
Remastered 2009 by Simon Polinski at Laundry Goat Studios